Thursday, June 26, 2008

Palawan Reflections: 2008 Sunday Gospels -- January

January 6, 2008
The Lord's Epiphany

Readings of the Day
First Reading: Is 60:1-6 / Psalm 72
Second Reading: Eph 3:2-3a,5-6
Gospel: Mt 2:2-12 We saw his star

Where is the newborn king of the Jews?

Magi from the east search for the "newborn king of the Jews" aided by a star. As they journeyed on, the star preceded them, "until it came and stopped where the child was."

My journey to find the Lord demands that I not lose sight of the star. Moreover, that I move on during nights and even during dark moments of my life. Darkness should not be a reason why I should stop or discontinue my journey.

Then, once I find the Lord, I need to open my treasures and offer them to Him. In the past, they were gold, frankincense and myrrh; now, I should offer him something I hold dear. Meeting the Lord, I am sure, will change my life, the way it changed the direction of the magi's trip back to their country.


January 13, 2008
The Lord's Baptism

Readings of the Day
First Reading: Is 42:1-4,6-7 / Psalm 29
Second Reading: Acts 10:34-38
Gospel: Mt 3:13-17 Jesus was baptized

This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased.

Jesus has himself baptized by John at the Jordan. When he comes up from the water, the heavens open and, like a dove, the Spirit of God descends and comes upon him. A voice is then heard, "This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased."

Jesus, the Sinless Lamb of God, falls in line, together with other sinners, for John's baptism of repentance. He is a God, then, who not only empties himself of his divinity, but even one who identifies himself with the sinfulness of humanity.

Yet, what does Jesus have to repent? He repents for man's sins. He repents for me. How can I not love the Lord Jesus.



January 20, 2008
Feast of the Santo NiƱo

Readings of the Day
First Reading: Is 9:1-6 / Psalm 98
Second Reading: Eph 1:3-6,15-18
Gospel: Mt 18:1-5,10 Become like little children

Unless you turn and become like children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven.

Jesus teaches his disciples that "unless you turn and become like children, you wil not enter the kingdom of heaven."

Entering the kingdom of heaven, then, involves two moments: the moment of turning and the moment of becoming like children. Turning from what? Turning from "adulthood" and seeming independence from the Lord to becoming like "children" and being totally dependent on the Lord.

Greatness in the kingdom of heaven, moreover, is developing one's capacity for smallness because Jesus says, "whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven."



January 27, 2008
Third Sunday in Ordinary Time

Readings of the Day
First Reading: Is 8:23-9:3 / Psalm 27
Second Reading: 1 Cor 1:10-13-17
Gospel: Mt 4:12-23 Prophecy of Isaiah Fulfilled

Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Jesus lives in Capernaum as Isaiah has foretold, starts to preach about the kingdom of heaven and calls his first disciples, among them, Simon, Andrew, James and John.

His message is old -- like that of John the Baptist who has recently been arrested. "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand." Yet, even with such old message, he gets the attention and attraction of fishermen by the Sea of Galilee.

To enter the kingdom of heaven, then, one has to repent. And to follow Jesus, like his first disciples, one has to leave one's boat and one's father. In both cases, there is a surrender: a surrender of one's sinfulness to the Lord and a surrender of one's security to be with the Lord.

No comments: