Thursday, June 26, 2008

Palawan Reflections: 2008 Sunday Gospels -- September

September 7, 2008
23rd Sunday in Ordinary Time

Readings of the Day
First Reading: Ez 33:7-9 / Psalm 95
Second Reading: Rom 13:8-10
Gospel: Mt 18:15-20 If your brother sins

If your brother sins (against you), go and tell him his fault between you and him alone.

Jesus points out a process in relating to a brother who sins. First, that I make known to him his fault – and to him alone. Then, in case he does not listen, that I ask one or two others to serve as my witnesses that I have gone out of my way to correct my brother. Should he further refuse to listen, then I shall make known his fault to the church. If he does not heed the church, then I should treat him as an outcast, like a Gentile, if I were a Jew.

In other words, I need to exhaust all possible means towards correcting my brother’s fault and towards reconciliation. This implies that I need to have great patience because the process takes time and effort. I should be slow in condemning him.


September 14, 2008
The Exaltation of the Cross

Readings of the Day
First Reading: Nm 21:4b-9 / Psalm 78
Second Reading: Phil 2:6-11
Gospel: Jn 3:13-17 The Son of Man must be lifted up

And just as Moses llifted up the serpent in the desert, so must the Son of Man be lifted up, so that everyone who believes in him may have eternal life.

Jesus was exalted by the Father because he willingly allowed himself to first be lifted up on the cross.

I do not possess in myself the “principle of rising.” But when I accept Jesus as my personal Lord and Saviour, I will definitely feel lifted up. My sorrow turns into joy. My experience of darkness becomes an occasion of enlightenment.

Through Jesus, I learn that to become pleasing to the Father, I do not have to eat the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge as Adam and Eve mistakenly thought, but to take the Way of the Cross as Jesus did.


September 21, 2008
25th Sunday in Ordinary Time

Readings of the Day
First Reading: Is 55:6-9 / Psalm 145
Second Reading: Phil 1:20c-24,27a
Gospel: Mt 20:1-16 Workers in the vineyard

Are you envious because I am generous? Thus, the last will be first, and the first will be last.

The laborers who worked at dawn grumble because, while they “bore the day’s burden and heat,” they received the same pay as those who were hired late in the afternoon. The landowner responds, “Are you envious because I am generous?”

A person’s reward, then, at the end of his labors in life rests ultimately with the Lord. The opportunity to serve is already a gift, whether as priest or catechist or ordinary parish volunteer. The rest is grace – I have no right to complain.

Great bishops have transformed the Philippine Church. But who have been raised to the honors of the altar? San Lorenzo Ruiz and Blessed Pedro Calungsod – both “mere” catechists.


September 28, 2008
26th Sunday in Ordinary Time

Readings of the Day
First Reading: Ez 18:25-28 / Psalm 25
Second Reading: Phil 2:1-11
Gospel: Mt 21:28-32 The two sons

Amen, I say to you, tax collectors and prostitutes are entering the kingdom of God before you.

Two sons respond differently to their father’s command that they work in the vineyard. The first says “No” but later goes. The second says “Yes” but, in the end, does not go.

Responding, then, involves two moments. First, the moment of utterance, that is, of saying either “Yes” or “No” to the given command. And, second, the moment of action, that is, of carrying out or not carrying out one’s earlier response. Given a person’s free will, his word may not match his action.

Many Jews say “Yes” in word but not in deed so that Jesus says, “tax collectors and prostitutes are entering the kingdom of God before you.” Am I Jesus’ disciple in word and in deed?

No comments: