Thursday, June 26, 2008

Palawan Reflections: 2008 Sunday Gospels -- April

April 6, 2008
3rd Sunday of Easter

Readings of the Day
First Reading: Acts 2:14-22-32 / Psalm 16
Second Reading: 1 Pt 1:17-22
Gospel: Lk 24:13-35 In the breaking of bread

Were not our hearts burning (within us) while he spoke to us on the way and opened the scriptures to us?

Two unnamed disciples leave Jerusalem for Emmaus. On the way, they meet a stranger who interpreted for them all that referred to Jesus in the scriptures. Only when the man took the bread, blessed it, broke it and gave it away did they recognize that they had been walking with the Risen Savior all along. They then returned to Jerusalem and recounted to others how they recognized him in the breaking of the bread.

Sensitivity to the stirrings of the Spirit -- in particular, to the burning in my heart waiting to be acknowledged -- this should be my prayer in the journeys of my life. The Risen Lord is always with me. I may fail to recognize him from time to time, yet, in the end, he will make himself known to me.


April 13, 2008
4th Snday of Easter

Readings of the Day
First Reading: Acts 2;14a,36-41 / Psalm 23
Second Reading: 1 Pt 2:20b-25
Gospel: Jn 10:1-10 Gate for the sheep

I am the gate. Whoever enters through me will be saved, and will come in and go out and find pasture.

The message is clear: Jesus is the one and only gate. Only through him will one be saved.

Other "gates" may promise a life of fulfillment: riches, honor and power. Yet, only through Jesus can one "have life and have it more abundantly." The world offers only fleeting pleasures and lal of them are enslaving. Jesus, on the other hand, offers a life of great possibilities and all of them are liberating.

I shall get to know Jesus better in the scriptures so that I may see him more clearly, love him more dearly and follow him more closely.


April 20, 2008
5th Sunday of Easter

Readings of the Day
First Reading: Acts 6:1-7 / Psalm 33
Second Reading: 1 Pt 2:4-9
Gospel: Jn 14:1-12 Way, Truth and Life

I am the way and the truth and the life . . . if you ask anything in my name, I will do it.

Jesus further reveals himself, this time as the Way, the Truth and the Life.

There is no need, then, to venture into other paths: only through Jesus can one get to dwell in the many dwelling places the Father has prepared. There is no need, then, to depend on horoscopes, rely on crystals and believe in feng shui. Jesus himself assures that "if you ask anything in my name, I will do it."

Hence, I will not let my heart be troubled. I shall have faith in the Lord Jesus.


April 27, 2008
6th Sunday of Easter

Readings of the Day
First Reading: Acts 8:5-8,14-17 / Psalm 66
Second Reading: 1 Pt 3:15-18
Gospel: Jn 14:15-21 Another Advocate

I will not leave you orphans.

Jesus consoles his apostles as his end nears. He tells them that while he may no longer be physically present with them in a little while, he shall not leave them orphaned. He, then, assures them that he shall send an Advocate, "the Spirit of Truth which the world cannot accept," to be with them always.

Even with his impending violent death, Jesus continues to think about the good of his friends he will leave behind in a manner that is comforting and gentle. There is no hint even of condemnation for his tormentors -- only words of pure love for those he will leave behind.

I, therefore, resolve to love him more deeply. He not only died for me, he also sent the Holy Spirit for me so that I will not be left orphaned.

No comments: