Thursday, June 26, 2008

Palawan Reflections: 2008 Sunday Gospels -- December

December 7, 2008
2nd Sunday of Advent

Readings of the Day
First Reading: Is 40:1-5,9-11 / Psalm 85
Second Reading: 2 Pt 3:8-14
Gospel: Mk 1:1-8 Make straight the paths

Prepare the way of the Lord, make straight his paths.

John the Baptist appears in the desert and proclaims “a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins.” He is the “voice crying out in the desert, ‘Prepare the way of the Lord, make straight his paths.’”

Hearing John’s voice, I shall prepare for the Lord’s coming into the world. I shall make straight his paths. Among other things, I shall go to confession. I shall seek forgiveness for my sins so that when the Lord comes, he will find space in my heart. Beyond the putting up of the Christmas lights and the planning of Christmas parties, I shall also make myself – and my family – ready to receive the Lord Jesus. A heart full of love for him and for my neighbor shall be my Christmas gift to him.


December 14, 2008
3rd Sunday of Advent

Readings of the Day
First Reading: Is 61:1-2a,10-11 / Luke 1
Second Reading: 1 Thes 5:16-24
Gospel: Jn 1:6-8,19-28 Voice in the desert

He was not the light but came to testify to the light. The true light, which enlightens everyone was coming into the world.

John owns up to being the voice in the desert when priests and Levites sent by the Jews from Jerusalem inquire who he was. He then points out to them someone coming after him “whose sandals I am not worthy to untie.”

John lives in the periphery – in the desert – and yet he becomes the center of attention, even of those from Jerusalem, the acknowledged center of all Jewish life, when he begins to preach about the coming of the Lord.

With the Lord, then, there are no peripheries. When the Spirit moves, persons at the margins become centers of change, in particular, like John and the unknown virgin from Nazareth. Not for their own personal glory, however, but for God.


December 21, 2008
4th Sunday of Advent

Readings of the Day
First Reading: 2 Sm 7:1-5,8b-12,14a,16 / Psalm 89
Second Reading: Rom 16:25-27
Gospel: Lk 1:26-38 The handmaid of the Lord

Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord. May it be done to me according to your word.

The angel Gabriel appears before Mary and informs her that she will conceive and bear a son who shall be called Son of the Most High. Mary responds, “Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord. May it be done to me according to your word.”

Suddenly, through her word, the whole history of the world drastically changes. God’s saving Word shall finally become flesh and shall live among his people. Inconceivable but true: the Most Powerful God becoming a fragile and helpless child for me; the Holy of Holies borrowing the flesh of a lowly virgin from a nondescript town. All because of Mary’s “Yes.”

May I, through Mary’s example, say “Yes!” to God.”


December 28, 2008
Feast of the Holy Family

Readings of the Day
First Reading: Gen 15:1-6,21:1-3 / Psalm 105
Second Reading: Heb 11:8,11-12,17-18
Gospel: Lk 2:22-40 The child grew

The child grew and became strong, filled with wisdom and the favor of God was upon him.

As Mary and Joseph present the baby Jesus in the temple, two holy persons, Simeon and Anna approach them and testify. Simeon calls the baby “light for revelation to the
Gentiles and glory for your people Israel.” Anna describes him as the “redemption of Israel.”

Yet while lofty though their words were, one fact remains: God becomes subject to human parents. In my mind’s eye, I see the child Jesus helping his father, Joseph, sand the top of a newly-made table and then assisting his mother, Mary, in setting up the table as they prepare for the Sabbath. Indeed, the “Star” of David being taught how to walk, how to eat, and how to talk even as he grows in age and in wisdom.

No comments: