Thursday, June 26, 2008

Palawan Reflections: 2008 Sunday Gospels -- July

July 6, 2008
14th Sunday in Ordinary Time

Readings of the Day
First Reading: Zec 9:9-10 / Psalm 145
Second Reading: Rom 8:9,11-13
Gospel: Mt 11:25-30 Praise of the Father

I give you praise, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, for although you have hidden these things from the wise and the learned you have revealed them to the childlike.

Jesus praises the Father for favoring the childlike over the wise and the learned in being able to get to know him.

To get to know Jesus, then, demands that I become “childlike.” Wisdom and learning may obscure – and, thus, make hidden – the very simple truths in spiritual life. Among these truths is that in case I get burdened, I shall turn to Jesus who will give me rest. “My yoke is easy and my burden light,” Jesus assures.

I may age with years, but my disposition towards life should always remain like that of a child – ever enthusiastic and free, not weighed down by disappointments and cynicism. Like a child, I shall take Jesus’ yoke and learn from him.



July 13, 2008
15th Sunday in Ordinary Time

Readings of the Day
First Reading: Is 55:10-11 / Psalm 65
Second Reading: Rom 8:18-23
Gospel: Mt 13:1-23 Parable of the Sower

Some seed fell on rich soil, and produced fruit, a hundred or sixty or thirtyfold. Whoever has ears ought to hear.

Jesus says, “whoever has ears ought to hear.” I have ears. Hence, if I were the sower, I shall look for some rich soil in which to plant my seeds so that they will bear fruit “a hundred or sixty or thirtyfold.” And if I were the seed, I shall hope and pray that I shall not fall along paths, over rocky grounds and among thorns, but on this much-sought for rich soil.

Today, then, I shall implore the Lord that, guided by his Spirit, I shall get to sharpen my senses so that I may have eyes that see and ears that hear. The dulling of my senses, whether physical or spiritual, is one of the worst things that shall happen to me.



July 20, 2008
16th Sunday in Ordinary Time

Readings of the Day
First Reading: Wis 12:13,16-19 / Psalm 86
Second Reading: Rom 8:26-27
Gospel: Mt 13:24-43 Weeds among wheat

Then the righteous will shine like the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Whoever has ears ought to hear.

In this parable of Jesus, a man allows the weeds and the wheat to grow together, otherwise, the man says, “if you pull up the weeds you might uproot the wheat along with them.”

In life, the same is true. The “children of the kingdom” live alongside with the “children of the evil one. Unlike the weeds and the wheat, however, both “children” may determine for themselves the direction of their lives. The Lord, as it were, gives all whether children of the kingdom or children of the evil one, the opportunity to repent and, in the process, enter the kingdom of heaven.

I shall continually call on the name of the Lord, then. Like the Good Thief, I shall cry out, “Lord, remember me when you get to paradise.”


July 27, 2008
17th Sunday in Ordinary Time

Readings of the Day
First Reading: 1 Kgs 3:5,7-12 / Ps 119
Second Reading: Rom 8:28-30
Gospel: Mt 13:44-52 Parables of the kingdom

The kingdom of heaven is like a merchant searching for fine pearls. When he finds a pearl of great price, he goes and sells all that he has and buys it.

Like the merchant who finds a pearl of great price and who sells all that he has in order to possess it, a person needs to empty himself – give up everything – for the kingdom of God.

Emptying oneself is difficult. The process presupposes complete trust in the Lord’s goodness and, hence, a life informed by Scriptures and nurtured by constant prayer. Difficult though it may be, only when a person is empty can he be filled.

Why is the Blessed Virgin Mary “full of grace?” Because she was totally empty for God.

No comments: