Thursday, June 26, 2008

Palawan Reflections: 2008 Sunday Gospels -- May

May 4, 2008
The Lord's Ascension

Readings of the Day
First Reading: Acts 1:1-11 / psalm 47
Second Reading: Eph 1:17-23
Gospel: Mt 28:16-20 I am with you always

Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to onbserve all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, until the end of the age.

Jesus ascends into heaven but, before he does so, he commissions his eleven apostles to make disciples of all nations and assures them that he will be with them always.

After having emptied himself of his divinity to share in my humanity, and, after having emptied himself of water and blood so that the "fountain of mercy" may flow, Jesus now returns to the Father. Indeed, only when I empty myself of self-love will I be able to follow Jesus and, like him, ascend to the Father's heavenly home.


May 11, 2008
Pentecost Sunday

Readings of the Day
First Reading: Acts 2:1-11 / Psalm 104
Second Reading: 1 Cor 12:3b-7,12-13
Gospel: Jn 20:19-23 Receive the Holy Spirit

Jesus said to them again, "Peace be with you. As the Father has send me, so I send you . . . Receive the Holy Spirit."

Even up to his last days on earth as the Risen Lord, Jesus never ceases to fill man's life with extraordinary gifts. "Receive the Holy Spirit," he says to his disciples.

His being born for me would have been enough. But, no! He takes the Way of the Cross and dies for me. His dying for me would have been enough. But, no! The Father raises him up from the world of the dead. And now Jesus gives me his Spirit -- the same Spirit that has given him power "to proclaim liberty to captives"; the same Spirit that he commended to the Father as he expired on the cross.

With the Holy Spirit, I pray that I shall find my way back to the Father and, like Jesus, do what is pleasing to him.


May 18, 2008
The Most Blessed Trinity

Readings of the Day
First Reading: Ex 34:4b-6,8-9 / Psalm: Daniel 3
Second Reading: 2 Cor 13:11-13
Gospel: Jn 3:16-18 God sent his Son

For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him might not perish but might have eternal life.

The Church has articulated that God is One in Three Divine Persons: the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. It is the Father who sends the Son so all may have eternal life. It is the Son who obediently carries out the will of the Father even unto death. It is the Spirit who binds both the Father and the Son and who continues to transform the face of the earth.

My Church, it has also been pointed out, is the Image of the Trinity. As Church, we are People of God the Father, Body of Christ the Son, and the Temple of the Holy Spirit. As a Christian, everything I do, I do in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.



May 25, 2005
The Body and Blood of Christ

Readings of the Day
First Reading: Dt 8:2-3, 14b-16a / Psalm 147
Second Reading: 1 Cor 10:16-17
Gospel: Jn 6:51-58 True food, true drink

Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day.

Jesus identified himself as the "living bread that came down from heaven" and says that "whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life."

The Eucharist is the greatest gift Jesus has given to the world. As a sinner, I am not worthy to receive this gift. But I know that he himself will make me worthy. Just as he washed the feet of his disciples at the Last Supper, Jesus will also wash mine. My feet have been dirtied by the dust of the earth and stained by the sin of the world and he will make them clean.

The Eucharist is the source and summit of all Christian life. May I be continually nourished by this very precious gift.

No comments: